Thursday, December 16, 2010

Last minute dinner


So, I'm pretty proud of myself. I came home from a cookie swap at a co-workers house and realized that I didn't plan dinner. I searched the net for ideas and decided that I didn't want to order pizza. I remembered a recipe that I found in Southern Living. It is called King's Ranch Chicken. The gerbils in my head started spinning and I decided to look in my pantry for all the ingredients. The only think that I was lacking was Rotel. I really can't believe I didn't have it considering it is usually a staple in my pantry. I got out my crock pot (yes, it is a crock pot recipe) and started mixing up the ingredients. It took all of 15 minutes and several cans of chicken, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup and my very own Rotel concoction of diced tomatoes and green chilis (I am so resourceful.) After layering the ingredients in the crock pot, you top it with cheese and voila, you're done! Below is the recipe if you are interested. Hopefully Craig will enjoy it. I don't see how he can't.

Kings Ranch Chicken
Southern Living Magazine Oct. 2010

4 cups of chopped chicken                   1. Stir together the first 8 ingredients. Tear
1 large onion, chopped                         tortillas into 1 inch pieces; layer 1/3 of
1 can cream of chicken soup                 tortilla pieces in a greased slow cooker.
1 can cream of mushroom soup             Top with 1/3 of the chicken mixture and
1 can Rotel                                            cheese. Repeat layers twice.
1 garlic clove, minced                           2. Cover and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours
1 tsp. chili powder                                or until bubbly and edges are golden brown.
12 corn tortillas                                     Uncover and cook on low 30 min.
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment